Wednesday, July 9, 2014

MY VEGAN CORNER


     As some of you already know, I am vegan. I made the transition very slowly and it's been a year now, yea!  Thank You, Jesus! I became vegan for several reasons. First of all,  I say "STOP" to animal cruelty. Secondly, because I support a "Greener Earth." Thirdly,  because I am a 54 year old woman that until a year ago was experiencing a lot of health issues that kept me going back to doctors, only to hear the same thing, change your diet, change the way you view food, change your dairy, change seasonings, stop eating red meats. It was the same word over and over again, change, change, change. So I decided to change.
     I decided to partake of the 21 day fast, The Daniel Fast, that my church was about to embark on as a New Year's resolution last year.and glory to God, within two weeks into the fast the Lord started showing me the areas of my life that needed change. Not just the physical. But the mental, emotional and spiritual. So today, I can say I feel wonderful and even my skin tone has changed for the better. I joined a gym where I workout 5 days a week, and at 54 I haven't felt better in my entire life. I won't change this new and improved lifestyle for anything in this world!
     It's about going back to basics and making a conscientious effort in adopting a healthier lifestyle. I sleep like a baby, and I have better focus. I enjoy my family more. So no more night sweats, no more acid reflux, or mood swings. No more bad taste in my mouth. It's about a healthier body as the temple for the Holy Spirit to dwell in. It's about a closer walk with the Lord as He continues to heal me and pour into my life. It's about my seeking Him and His truths in the Scriptures, and enjoying everyday life. It's about living for Jesus!
      Although my amazing husband does not share completely my vegan lifestyle, in the name of Jesus and our marriage vows, he opted to at least eliminate all red meats from his diet. Baby steps! All in all,  he continues to make some very healthy choices now. On the other hand, however, our 15 year old daughter is all for eating healthy. She loves earthy, plant based foods, no meats. Although for now she is only choosing scaled wild caught fish twice a week. I am so very proud of my family, and am grateful to the changes they have made in their lives as they support my health choices. The Lord is doing some pretty wonderful things in this family. He is faithful!
      I also decided that it would be selfish on my part to keep all to myself some really delicious vegan recipes. So at least once a week I will be sharing with you some of my very favorite ones.  Here is my first, simple, easy and delicious recipe. Nothing complicated about this one and it's ready in 30 minutes. So while this is in the oven you can stay busy fixing the rest of your meal. We eat these chips at least 3 times a week. Got some of my "meat eating" friends hooked on the chips, (hehe).
     I serve these as appetizers, snack, and sometimes with my yummy Garbanzo Bean Burgers as a meal.  They go with anything. So without further ado, please welcome my "Broccoli Chips." (some clapping please!)

Broccoli Chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Chop a head of broccoli (do not rinse immediately prior to preparing).
Mince 2-3 cloves of garlic

Place broccoli, garlic, 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, and a few shakes of sea salt & pepper in a ziploc bag.
Shake it up!

Spread out on a baking sheet, place on top rack of oven, and bake for about 30 minutes. Broccoli will be crunchy and delicious. You can also use kale, as an alternative. 

(Optional) Sprinkle a tbsp of nutritional yeast for that great cheesy flavor. Serve with hummus, or just eat em up plain! If you have some "little people" in your family that are a tad finicky, let me tell you, they will devour these chips in a jiffy! Enjoy!

"May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you."
2 Corinthians 13:14

Yolanda

No comments:

Post a Comment