Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Importance of Feeding your Soul


      I believe in the importance of feeding your soul. As a Christian I have had my share of trials and pain in my journey through life. No matter where I go, what I do, or what level of spiritual maturity I am in there will always be some struggle, or some challenge for me to overcome. Jesus warned us in John 16:33, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." If Jesus had trouble in this world, what makes us think we are to live trouble-free lives? As Christians we are to feed our souls on the Word of God. Day and night. And to "pray without ceasing" (1 Thessalonians 5:17 ESV). Jesus did it!
     In Psalms 43:5, the psalmist David says while in deep prayer, "Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? The Greek translation for cast down is kataballo, which means to be forsaken, prostrate, struck down. The word disquieted means worried, or anxious.  David was clearly feeling troubled and terribly overwhelmed, yet in the same verse he answers himself and goes on to say, "Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him. The help of my countenance and my God." He is affirming, and acknowledging that God Himself is his source of strength. Some scholars feel that this psalm was written when David was excluded from the temple at the time of Absalom's rebellion. Later in David's reign Absalom took over the kingdom temporarily and David was driven into exile outside of Jerusalem. This psalm reflects a time of deep sadness and frustration. None of us need to think that because we are Christians we will escape times of sadness; they will come. But we need to do something about them.
     When our souls are troubled, and we are feeling weary, and tired, let's practice what the psalmist did. Let's pray. Let's praise and worship our Lord. Let's pour out to our heavenly Father. Let's feed our souls the spiritual food we can only find in God's Word. Psalm 46:1 reads, "God is our refuge and strength. A very present help in trouble."
     The Lord is a safe place where we can find strength and refuge from the storms in our lives. Philippians 4:13 reads, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." This was one of the many Scriptures that ministered to my soul during some very trying times in my life. I believe in Psalms 40:1-3, "I waited patiently for the LORD, and He inclined to me, and heard my cry. He also brought me out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps. He has put a new song in my mouth-Praise to our God; many will see it and fear, and I will trust in the LORD." This Scripture is truly a reminder that we are to wait joyfully and patiently in the Lord, because help is on the way! He is faithful!
     Jeremiah 29:11 reads, "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Let's stop grumbling and complaining. When challenges come our way, let's get on our knees and pray.  God has a plan, a divine plan for each and everyone of us. Sweet communion with God is a holy, blessed, and quiet place that we can enjoy as we fellowship with our Father, and we can feast on the benefits of His Word as we feed our souls. Philippians 4:8 reads, "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy-meditate on these things." Let's find peace for our souls in this Scripture, as we infuse our spirit with the Word of God.  We can experience peace and joy in the midst of our trials. God knows exactly what our days hold, and He is always willing and able to sit at the table and fellowship with us.

"May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all."
2 Corinthians 13:14
Yolanda

No comments:

Post a Comment